Shibori is a Japanese resist dyeing technique that has been practiced for thousands of years, and is the inspiration for this yarn.
The bands of white on the deep inky blue knits or crochets up as distributed white dots throughout a project, leading to what we think is a very cool effect.
This extrafine merino wool (19.5 microns) is almost as soft as cashmere and is a joy to use and wear. Deliciously bulky, one hank will make a fast hat, cowl or pair of fingerless gloves.
Dyed by us in our home state of Washington using professional commercial dyes that won't fade or bleed.
Our guarantee: Love it or get your money back. Worried it won't look like the picture? Yeah, we get it. While hand-dyed yarn can vary slightly, we strive for something that looks just like what you're expecting. If you don't think so or you just don't like it, we accept returns within 30 days. And, If you paid for shipping the first time, we'll send you a free return label, too.
CAKE YOUR YARN:
Would you like your yarn in a center-pull cake? Add our caking service to your cart. Make sure to add a service for each hank you want caked!
- Lark Beanie -- crochet pattern from AlyseCrochet
- MITRA Hat -- knitting pattern from Shellie Anderson
- Swirling Snowflakes Beanie — free knitting pattern from Stitches n Scraps
- Chunky Lace Twist Headband — free crochet pattern from Fiber Flux (video tutorial!)
ABOUT THE YARN:
- Each hank is 100 grams / 100 meters (109 yards)
- 2-ply Deluxe SuperChunk Bulky weight yarn
- 100% Superwash Extrafine Merino Wool (19.5 micron)
- Hand wash in cool water / dry flat
- Recommended needle size: 5.5 - 6mm (US 9 - 10) needles / Crochet I - J
- Gauge (stockinette stitch): 15sts x 20 rows over 10cm (4 inches) on 6mm (US 10) needles
Note: The fibers used in our yarn base are produced and processed in ways that do not harm the animals or the environment. We only use yarn made from shorn or naturally shed wool that is certified as mulesing free.
This is my first time to use Global Backyard’s bulky yarn and I love it. The 100% Superwash Merino Wool is so soft and has a beautiful natural sheen. At first I thought the yarn would be slippery, like silk yarns; but to my delight it was not slippery and just so easy to work with. I will definitely continue to support Global Backyard. P.S. I have also used their sock yarn base and that is also a dream to use. You will not be disappointed. I look forward to my future yarn selections and projects with both yarn bases. Thank you Global Backyard!
I will be pairing this skein with other skeins for a Stephen West shawl this spring. The base is wonderful and I will enjoy knitting with it again..